For any time limit on a website, a user must have one of the following options:
- Ability to turn off time limit
- Ability to adjust time limit to at least 10x the default setting
- After a warning of time limit expiration, given at least 20 seconds to to extend time limit at least 10x
- The time limit is part of a real-time event (e.g. Ebay auction) and no alternative is possible
- The time limit is essential (e.g. buying tickets online) and extending it would invalidate the activity
- The time limit is longer than 20 hours
What to do?
- Avoid time limits wherever possible
- If a time limit is necessary, provide the ability to adjust or extend it unless you meet an exception above
Plain English Explanation
This success criterion is self-explanatory. If you have a time limit on your website, definitely reference the WCAG link below.